What Is That Spot On My Roof?
You're outside one day mowing you lawn, tending to your garden, or playing with your kids when you suddenly notice something unexpected on your roof. A black streak, a splotch of green, or perhaps a spiky gray chunk you don't recognize. Just what is that that's made its home on your roof while you weren't looking?
Organic growths are very common in our region, so it only makes sense that they would invade our roof eventually. And while it is inevitable, it certainly isn't welcome. These growths can harm your property in many different ways if left to thrive without any roof cleaning services.
Types Of Growths
There are several different things that may grow on your roof and disturb its health. These include:
- Black Algae: This growth is very common on rooftops and appears as black streaks. If you drive down the road for a few minutes, you are sure to spot black streaks on the roofs around your neighborhood. While seemingly harmless, this algae will eat away at the surface it grows on over time.
- Green Algae: the sister of black algae, green algae may also grow on your roof and appear as green streaks instead. It harms your roof in a similar way- by eating away at components in your shingles of a similar pH level. It can cause brittle or cracking shingles over time.
- Moss: We are all pretty familiar with moss, but a lot of people don't realize the harm it can do to your roof. If left to continue growing, moss will get under your shingles and lift or curl them, which will allow moisture to penetrate beneath them and compromise your roofing.
- Lichen: Lichen does the same as moss, but it looks different. In fact, most people don't know what lichen looks like. If you see spiky pale splotches on your roof, perhaps light blue or light green in color, you likely have lichen.
- Mold & Mildew: Mold and mildew are particularly harmful because not only do they eat away at what they grow on, like algae, but they also present a health hazard to you and your loved ones.
Roof Cleaning To Save The Day
Luckily, Bayshore Power Wash offers a premium roof cleaning pressure washing service that addresses all of these concerns and more. To schedule your roof cleaning service today, call us at 813-638-1106 and speak to the pros about your concerns and goals.